Don't Miss Out On Exciting News!

Subscribe to my newsletter and get a free copy of Andromeda's Tear!
* indicates required
/ ( mm / dd )

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Without a Care in the World

Meet Ro. She's a badass.
That security camera never stood a chance.
My good friend Boobulon knocked out this sketch when he needed something to draw the other night. I love it. I haven't really written a character like Ro before, and I'm loving that too.

Ro (aka Agent Rohalia Bernard) doesn't care what you think of her. She doesn't even care if you like her. The filter between her brain and her mouth is almost non-existent, unless you ask her something she doesn't feel like answering. (Or, as another good friend put it, "She speaks her mind, but doesn't bare her soul.") Some could argue that she's selfish and insensitive. She still wouldn't care.

As with everything else, I need to strike the correct balance with this character. She's the female MC in this book, and while she may not care about how she comes across to other people, I don't want her to be completely unlikeable. (Or maybe I want readers to like her for being unlikeable? Here I go running in circles again.) She has to have some redeeming qualities (and I assure you, she does). It just becomes a question of how to peel away the layers in a convincing way.

Either way, she's fun and fearless, and quite possibly my favorite character to write so far. I can only write good things about her, you see. Or else she'll kick me in the face and possibly stab me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your talent with us readers of your books. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete