Don't Miss Out On Exciting News!

Subscribe to my newsletter and get a free copy of Andromeda's Tear!
* indicates required
/ ( mm / dd )

Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Next Big Thing

K.E. Skedgell was kind enough to tag me for this blog hop, and I'm still marveling at the fact that  my internet was finally fixed, so let's answer some questions about the book I've been working on!


What is your working title of your book?
Disintegration. (Though I've been jokingly referring to it as "RoboCock" whenever I talk about it elsewhere.)

Where did the idea come from for the book?
Originally, this was going to be a Phantasy Star Online fanfic that wasn't going to go more than a few chapters. In the game, you meet Kireek, a battle android, right off the bat in your first quest (the tutorial). Depending on certain events you can trigger, he wants to kill you and you have to fight him a number of times. I was going to write about him originally being a human back on the home planet everyone in the game escaped from, which is an idea completely from my own imagination and there's nothing suggesting anything like that in the actual game. As it was going to be largely an original idea anyway, I decided to turn it into a book, incorporating a couple similar elements.

What genre does your book fall under?
Sci-fi/erotica. Or erotic sci-fi. I don't know which element is stronger.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Oooh, this is tough. In a perfect world, I'd have a young Dolph Lundgren as Callum, my MC. I don't really pay too much attention to TV and movies, so I'm having difficulty coming up with a more current pick. (I'm open to suggestions for who resembles a young Dolph Lundgren, though!).

I'm leaning towards Mila Kunis for Ro - she's sassy, outspoken, and confident, but there's still a sweet side to her...somewhere. ;) 

I'm still thinking about my minor characters. This is harder than I thought it would be!

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
"RoboCop meets 50 Shades". Oh wait, that's going to be my advertising campaign. ;) Let's try this again. 

*ahem*

An injured soldier and family man transforms into a cybernetically-enhanced stone cold assassin under the guidance of a team of mercenaries, including his flirtatious handler who has an appetite for rough sex. 

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Neither, really. My previous books have been published by Double Dragon Publishing / Carnal Desires Publishing. They've always been great to work with, and I hope I can continue our relationship. 

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
I wrote the last word of the epilogue yesterday, woo! According to my file manager, I started it on August 26th, so about 2.5 months? Seems longer. Also, as I've mentioned before, I commit the grievous sin of editing as I go. :P

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
To be perfectly honest, while I know there are books about robot sex out there, I have not read them. Maybe it's bad research, maybe I didn't want to be influenced by too many outside sources. (Same reason I haven't watched RoboCop yet. But now that I'm done, I will!)

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Isn't that the same as the second question? (I'm nitpicky, I know.) One of the reasons the idea appealed to me is that robot sex doesn't seem to be your run-of-the-mill erotic romance, and I wanted to see if I could 1) do it, and 2) make it convincing.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
I like to think that one of the book's themes is the concept of humanity and what makes people who they are (and how sex figures into both those things). Also, it contains some of the steamiest scenes I've ever written. *blushes*

And now, the tagging. I was looking through my blog list, and I could only find three fellow writers that don't seem to have done this yet, so I'm going to break the rules and only ping three!
Jennifer R. Donahue
Kelly
Anne Glynn

Rules you shouldn't break:

Rules of the Next Big Thing
Use this format for your post
Answer the ten questions about your current WIP (work in progress)
Tag five other writers/bloggers and add their links so we can hop over and meet them.


Ten Interview Questions for the Next Big Thing:
What is your working title of your book?
Where did the idea come from for the book?
What genre does your book fall under?
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Who or what inspired you to write this book?
What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks for picking me! This looks like it's going to be a lot of fun to go through and answer the questions.

    ReplyDelete